Original artworks sharing my journey available at Art Lovers Australia

Monday, August 27, 2012

Breast Cancer Prevention, A Lifestyle, If Only I Had Known???


I wish I had known of  breast cancer prevention when I was young, but twenty years ago when I had a first breast cancer it was not a concept that was out there.

After the second breast cancer I tried to live in a healthier way but it has only been after this third breast cancer I have had the opportunity to live fully sustainably.

Using breast cancer prevention strategies in your life I saw expressed recently is like putting a seat belt on when you go for a drive.

There are no guarantees you will need your seat belt but you put it on to give yourself the best chance of survival.

Like a car accident breast cancer can be the result of many factors, sometimes these factors are within our control and sometimes are outside of our control.

But as survival chances are better with a seat belt in a car accident, breast cancer prevention strategies will also improve your chance of not getting breast cancer or of surviving it if you are diagnosed.

I will be writing in more details on breast cancer prevention strategies in future blog posts but briefly here are some of the things I wish I had not done when I was younger.

I wish I had not used alcohol as a way to handle social situations during my turbulent twenties and early thirties.

I wish I had known about the chemicals used in the personal products I used including deodorants, perfume, toothpaste and my exuberant hair colorings. If something was in fashion I tried it without knowing its impact on my  body.

I wish I had exercised consistently.

I wish I had spent more time in nature rather than gravitating to the restaurant scene and its indulgent lifestyle.

I wish I had used natural products in my home instead of washing and cleaning with chemical loaded and well advertised products.

I particularly wish I had not been introduced to bleach as a way of cleaning `EVERYTHING'.

I wish I had known that pesticides had been used where I was living.

I wish I had known about trans fats.

I wish I had not eaten so much processed food.

I wish I had not used plastic products in my kitchen and home, particularly my plastic kettle.

I wish my living spaces had contained VOC (Volatile Organic Chemical) free products.

In short I was a product of my time and now times have changed.

The short sighted indulgent way of living, the accepted ethos of the eighties and nineties was not healthy for the individual or our planet.

It has been a hard call for me to wake up but now I am well and healthy once more and wanting to share there are better ways of living for us all.

4 comments:

V said...

Wow! It sounds like you have learned a lot from you experience. Thanks for sharing with us and giving us goals of good health to reach for. You made me squirm when you said you wish you had exercised more. That makes me want to get off the couch!

joy said...

Lots of your wishes is mine too. I wish I am more diligent to do all that I should do. Timely post.

Autumn Belle said...

Thanks for sharing your experiences and warning tips. So true.

Cheerios and Lattes said...

Thanks for the willingness to share this with us. Thank you so much for posting on Saturday Show and Tell. I hope you'll be back this week to link up some more great ideas! Have a great rest of the week!
-Mackenzie
http://www.cheeriosandlattes.com