Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Real Food At Community Garden


The raised beds for disabled gardeners overflow with produce at my local community garden.


Behind is the always inviting garden shed with it rainwater tank and colorful mural by a local artist from the area's original people.


The garden is currently flourishing with quality food. Was speaking to other members yesterday who stated how energized they felt on food from the garden and how other vegetables now seemed.


Photobucket

These beautiful potatoes have just been dug from the one of the plots. Was lucky enough to have been given one for my dinner and it was `DELICIOUS'.



And below are some images of my current plot, the black earth in the center is where a lettuce was just removed. Gave it to another garden member and she returned it with some of the largest silver beet I have ever seen. She says her secret is blood and bone so must add that to my soil additions list.






The Brussel Sprouts are beginning to fatten out.

Last year we had no success with these at the garden but this year the soil is so vastly improved.

The soil is becoming so strong and rich, it is just a joy to see the vegetables thriving.


7 comments:

thyme2garden said...

Those raised beds look wonderful. I think it's so nice to be able to share personally grown food with each other. Just seeing pictures of all your healthy vegetables makes me smile!

zentmrs said...

Looking really good! I love the raised beds -- my mom is in a wheelchair and would love to have this at her disposal. Thanks for sharing!

Country Gal said...

I've never seen raised beds like this before - they look wonderful!

Marsha Neal Studio (Marsha's Garden Blog, Marsha Minutella) said...

Those raised beds look awesome! Very industrial artsy clean… And they must be so much easier to maintain. Will read up a bit more to see what you did to improve the soil since last year. Thanks for sharing!

Dan@retrooregon,com said...

Your brussel sprouts are looking good. Mine are about the same size and I can't wait to see how many I get per plant. The potatoes are lovely!

21st Century Housewife© said...

Your gardens look wonderful, and I love the raised beds - what a great idea!

Jami said...

Beautiful and inspiring! Thanks so much for sharing at the Tuesday Garden Party!